Tuesday, March 4, 2014

BEN Reader Shares her Very Painful True Life Experience with 'Wicked' Nigerian Nurses


 

This is so heartbreaking. And to think it can happen to any of us. Guys, please read Dara's story. She needs our help with how best to address this situation. Appropriate contacts, numbers to call will be appreciated.
Hello READERS,
I just thought to share my very unpleasant experience with fellow readers. I used to hear horror stories about Nigerian nurses and hospitals, I used to think some were merely exaggerations and myths- however, I was astounded to learn  that  it might be true afterall, and then some-at least I can deduce that from my experience this past month.

My father was to undergo surgery at the Orthopedic hospital in Lagos last month (February2014). While he was being prepped for surgery, the doctors informed us that his blood sugar level was very high so surgery was postponed.
To reduce his blood sugar level, he was given insulin shots. However, the nurses were not
carrying out routine checks to see how low the blood sugar level had gotten. We found out later that it got so low hence he slipped into a coma. We even had no idea that he was in a coma, we thought he was drowsy as a result of the drugs and we were concerned because he wasn't speaking and was breathing through his mouth.
We made frenzied attempts to wake him up to eat to no avail. While we were visibly agitated, a nurse came and handed us drugs to administer to him by ourselves in that state! They just kept staring at us from their station while we worked ourselves up trying to wake him up - not knowing he had already slipped into a coma. The research we have carried out showed that if he had been given a sugar-based beverage, his sugar level would have  gone back up to a safe level - we did not know this. In retrospect, it was not our job to know as we were not health professionals. The nurses ignored us and left us with the job of trying to wake him. I have no adjective to qualify how badly behaved the nurses were. I have always heard tales but I had no inkling it was that bad. The nurses were grossly unprofessional, rude to patients and relatives of patients, and lacking in compassion and empathy that the nursing profession is known for in other parts of the world.
My Dad died days later. There had been so much damage to the brain as a result of the coma. His death has left me with feelings of shock, anger and depression in equal proportions.
The treatment meted out to Nigerians in these hospitals I cannot begin to explain. In hindsight, I  would have recorded some of our encounters with them, then again, I couldn't have since I was so carried away with my Dad's health.
I want to draw the attention of Nigerians to these hospitals - they aren't free after all, so its not out of place to demand to be treated right. We paid for so many tests that were not carried out, we paid for scans and x-rays but didn't get the films until days later - as they claimed the machine was bad. There are other horrible experiences I can't recall right now as I'm yet to regain my equilibrium.

How can we seek redress so this does not happen to someone else. It's such a painful experience to live through.

PS: We already paid N200,000 at the Orthopedic hospital for the surgery he was to undergo. Since he did not get to undergo the surgery, they have refused to give us a refund and have been giving us the run-around.

- Dara.

No comments:

Post a Comment